Yes! I have many more weeknight chicken dishes to share. This one uses the genius technique of incorporating pan juices to create an incredible sauce with za’atar, coriander, and citrus.
This wonderful dish was reminiscent of a deconstructed gyro. It would also be incredible served with tomatoes, cucumbers and naan or pita. I served it with green salad, roasted potatoes, and asparagus.
The recipe was adapted from Bon Appétit, contributed by Aaron Crowder, Katie Jackson, and Nick Perkins. I used a sheet pan, substituted boneless, skinless chicken thighs for bone-in, and modified the proportions in the sauce. Fabulous!
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4 chicken legs (thigh and drumstick; about 2½ lbs total)
1 or2 medium red onions, cut into 1″-thick wedges
2 heads of garlic, halved crosswise, plus 2 cloves
1 to 1 1/2 lemons, quartered, seeds removed
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 cups plain whole-milk Greek yogurt (2% Greek yogurt also okay)
1 to 1 1/2 T za’atar
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest or 1/2 T lemon juice (can use the juice of a roasted lemon wedge, if desired)
1/2 tsp finely grated lime zest or 1/2 T lime juice
- sliced cucumbers and tomatoes, for serving, optional
- warm naan or pita, for serving, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°, preferably on convection.
- Pat chicken meat dry with paper towels. Arrange chicken, onions, halved garlic heads, and lemon on a rimmed sheet pan or in a 13×9″ baking dish; season liberally with salt and pepper (remember to season both sides of chicken).
- Pour in oil and toss everything to coat.
- Turn garlic cut side down and nestle it in so it is in contact with the baking dish.
- Roast, “skin side down,” rotating pan halfway through, for 20 minutes if using boneless meat. Roast until meat is almost falling off the bone (if using bone-in meat), 50–60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely grate 1 garlic clove into a small bowl. Add yogurt, a big pinch of salt, and 1 Tbsp. water and mix well. Set aside yogurt sauce.
- Remove baking dish from oven and transfer onions, garlic, and lemon to a plate. If using boneless, skinless meat, flip the chicken meat to roast on the opposite side.
- Increase oven temperature to 425° and continue to roast chicken until skin is golden brown, 10–15 minutes more.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest 10 minutes. Set aside pan with juices.
- Finely grate remaining garlic clove into another small bowl. Add za’atar, coriander, lemon zest or juice, and lime zest or juice.
- Pour reserved juices in pan into za’atar mixture until you’ve reached an oily consistency (about 3T). Mix in a pinch of salt.
- Spread reserved yogurt sauce over a platter and arrange chicken on top. (Alternatively, if serving the chicken with flatbread, the yogurt can be served on the side.)
- Scatter onions, garlic, and lemon around the chicken; drizzle with za’atar oil.
- Serve with flatbread, cucumbers and tomatoes, if desired.
Love recipes like these – less washing up!
Yes! The sheet pan dinner is complete genius. 🙂