To say that this wonderful summer cake was moist would be the understatement. 😉 What a fabulous use for zucchini! Everyone has an extra zucchini and ultra-ripe bananas this time of year too.
This recipe was adapted from Nancy-c.com. I incorporated light brown sugar and whole wheat pastry flour and decreased the nutmeg. I also added salt and vanilla to the frosting. This cake was even better the next day. Fabulous.
Yield: one 9×13 cake, about 12 to 16 servings
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large or extra-large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (about 1 medium)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F, preferably on convection.
- Grease a 9 x 13″ pan, line with parchment paper, grease again. (I used cooking oil spray.) Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Add in egg and vanilla, then stir in mashed bananas and blend everything well.
- In medium bowl, whisk flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
- Add flour mixture to butter-sugar-banana mixture. Blend until combined.
- Fold in zucchini and mix until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared 9 x 13″ pan and bake at 350˚F for 25 minutes, or until edges brown and pull from sides.
- Let bars cool completely, then frost with cream cheese frosting (recipe below).
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese or light cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- pinch coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or medium bowl, blend softened cream cheese and softened butter.
- Mix in salt and vanilla until well combined.
- Add in powdered sugar a cup at a time, blending well after each addition, scraping down the sides, as needed.
- Spread evenly over completely cooled bars, then cut and serve.
Note: If serving later, keep in refrigerator until ready to serve. Refrigerate any leftover cake.