This raw zucchini salad was lovely. I loved the contrasting texture from the crunchy almond topping. The dressing was also wonderfully bright and flavorful.
This recipe was adapted from The New York Times, contributed by Alexa Weibel. I used a mini food processor to quickly prepare the dressing. We ate this as a side with grilled chicken but it would also be perfect to serve as a light lunch.
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small to medium shallot
- 2 T capers, chopped, plus 2 teaspoons caper brine
- zest of one lemon (about 1 tsp)
- 1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium zucchini or summer squash (6 to 7 ounces each), or a combination
- 1/3 cup shaved Pecorino-Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 1/3 cup roasted salted almonds, chopped
- In the bowl of a mini food processor, mince the shallot and garlic.
- Add the oil, capers, caper brine, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Pulse to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, pulse again. Set aside. (Alternatively, the dressing can be made in a small bowl.)
- Trim the ends of the zucchini and cut each squash into 2-inch segments. Slice the segments lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slabs, then slice those slabs lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick batons. Add to a large bowl.
- Just before serving, season the zucchini with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Stir in the cheese, herbs and dressing and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with the almonds. Garnish with additional herbs, if desired. Serve immediately.