In addition to serving the Voltaggio brother’s cornbread stuffing last Thanksgiving, I also served this savory-sweet roasted carrot dish from Bryan Voltaggio’s cookbook. I loved that the sauce incorporated the carrot greens and that additional greens were used as a garnish.
The recipe was adapted from Home: Recipes to Cook With Family and Friends by Bryan Voltaggio. I used rainbow carrots and modified the proportions in the sauce. I also found the sauce too coarse to pass through a fine mesh sieve. (I often skip that step anyway!) 😉 It is interesting that his technique is to cut the carrots into bite-sized pieces after they are cooked.
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
For the Roasted Carrots:
- 2 1/3 lbs (1 kg, about 13 medium carrots) carrots (I used rainbow carrots)
- 2 T (28g) olive oil
- 3/4 tsp (1.5g) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (3g) ground peppercorns, preferably Szechuan
- 3/4 tsp (4.5g) fine sea salt
For the Chimichurri Sauce:
- 1.8 to 2 oz carrot greens
- 2 oz (56g) baby spinach or flat-leaf parsley
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 1/2 T (35g) olive oil
- 1 T (14g) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (3g) fine sea salt
- small carrot greens, for garnish
To Roast the Carrots:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, preferably on convection.
- Peel and trim the carrots.
- Set a large skillet with a lid over high heat and add the olive oil. When it begins to shimmer, add the carrots and cook, stirring, until they are golden brown and caramelized.
- Add the cinnamon, peppercorns, and salt; stir to blend.
- Cover and transfer to the oven to cook for 35 minutes, or until the carrots are completely tender.
To Make the Chimichurri Sauce:
- Set a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Prepare an ice bath.
- Blanch the carrot greens for 2 to 3 minutes and transfer to the ice bath.
- Blanch the baby spinach (or parsley) for 1 minutes and transfer to the ice bath.
- Once cool, squeeze out the spinach and carrot greens and put in a blender. (I used a Vitamix.)
- Add the garlic, oil, red wine vinegar, and salt and purée until smooth. Set aside.
To Finish the Dish:
- Remove the carrots from the oven, cut into bite-sized pieces, and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Spoon some of the Chimichurri Sauce over the carrots and garnish with small carrot greens.
- Serve family-style with reserved sauce on the side.