Pork Sausage Chili
We have a new favorite chili in our house! It may double as a new favorite Super Bowl meal too. 😉 I was a little concerned about using sausage as such a primary ingredient but the end result was very balanced. It was hearty, full-flavored, and a perfect compliment to our mandatory guacamole appetizer. I also loved that it could be prepared in advance.
I was initially drawn to the recipe because it was titled “BLT Chili” which sounded intriguing and delicious. After reading further, I realized that it was not related to a BLT but was created by chef Laurent Tourondel of BLT Burger in Las Vegas. Funny.
- In a large, enameled cast-iron Dutch oven or casserole, heat the oil.
- Add the sausage and cook over high heat, breaking it up, until browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the onions, bell pepper and garlic; cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the onion is translucent, 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin and oregano and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, corn and water and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chili over rice, if desired, with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped red onion, pickled jalapeños, cilantro and hot sauce as optional toppings.
Posted in Holiday, Pork, Recipes, Soups, Stews, & Chowders
Tags: chili, corn, cumin seeds, dinner, kidney beans, paprika, pork sausage, red bell pepper, Super Bowl, sweet Italian pork sausage, sweet paprika, tomatoes