We have a new favorite chili in our house! It may double as a new favorite Super Bowl meal too. 😉 I was a little concerned about using sausage as such a primary ingredient but the end result was very balanced. It was hearty, full-flavored, and a perfect compliment to our mandatory guacamole appetizer. I also loved that it could be prepared in advance.
I was initially drawn to the recipe because it was titled “BLT Chili” which sounded intriguing and delicious. After reading further, I realized that it was not related to a BLT but was created by chef Laurent Tourondel of BLT Burger in Las Vegas. Funny.
- In a large, enameled cast-iron Dutch oven or casserole, heat the oil.
- Add the sausage and cook over high heat, breaking it up, until browned, about 15 minutes.
- Add the onions, bell pepper and garlic; cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the onion is translucent, 8 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin and oregano and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, corn and water and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 1 hour.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chili over rice, if desired, with shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped red onion, pickled jalapeños, cilantro and hot sauce as optional toppings.
So much goodness in a bowl. Yumolicious. 🍃🌶
It was super tasty- and hearty! Thanks 🙂