Yes! I have another summer fruit dessert to share.
I could not wait to make this cobbler as soon as I saw the recipe. 🙂 It was described as “prizing berries above all, using only 1/3 cup of sugar.” The berries cooked into jammy and creamy deliciousness.
This recipe was adapted from Chez Panisse via The New York Times, contributed by Molly O’Neill. I used a biscuit cutter for the topping and modified the baking method. I may consider adding some lemon zest to the berries next time. Yum.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
For the Berries:
- 4 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
For The Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup heavy cream, plus additional for serving, if desired
- vanilla ice cream, for serving, if desired
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees, preferably on convection.
- To prepare the berries, place in a bowl and toss with the sugar and flour. Set aside.
- To make the dough, mix the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the cream and mix lightly, just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Put the blueberries in a 1 1/2-quart gratin or baking dish.
- On a lightly floured piece of parchment paper, pat the dough out to 1/2-inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter 2 inches in diameter, cut the dough into rounds. Reform scraps and repeat. (I cut the dough into 12 rounds.)
- Arrange dough over the top of the berries, leaving space in between for the berries to bubble through.
- Place the baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake in the preheated oven until the topping is brown and the juices bubble thickly around it, about 35 to 40 minutes. (I tented the cobbler with foil after 30 minutes and then baked it for an additional 5 minutes, or until bubbling in the center.)
- Let cool slightly. Serve warm, with cream to pour on top or with ice cream on the side, as desired.