This is another incredible and full-flavored grilled meat dish. I used the marinade on boneless, skinless chicken thighs but it would also be wonderful with shrimp or flank or skirt steak according to the original recipe. I love that the residual marinade is cooked down into a sauce for serving.
This recipe was adapted from Bon Appétit, contributed by Molly Baz. I marinated ten chicken thighs but would add up to five more next time. I also used a mixture of harissa and sambal oelek for heat. Fabulous.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
1 3-inch piece fresh ginger
5 large garlic cloves
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek and/or harissa)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 T light brown sugar
1 3/4 tsp Morton kosher salt
2 T vegetable oil, plus more for grill
2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs (use 10 to 15 thighs)
1/2 cup cilantro leaves with tender stems
lime wedges, for serving
- Prepare a grill for medium heat.
- Finely grate ginger and garlic into a medium bowl.
- Add coconut milk, chili paste, lime juice, brown sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons oil and whisk to combine.
- Add chicken and toss to coat. Let sit at least 15 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinade, letting excess drip back into bowl, and transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pour marinade into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 2–3 minutes.
- Clean and generously oil grate of grill (if there are a few flare-ups while you do so, not to worry, they will burn off).
- Grill chicken, turning once and basting occasionally with marinade, until you see some good grill marks and chicken is cooked through, 8–10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a platter. Brush with remaining marinade. Top with cilantro and serve with lime wedges alongside.
Looks scrumptious. I’m sure the coconut is delightful! 🍃🥥
Thank you for this recipe Josette. The marinade/sauce is so tasty and I have tried it with both fish and chicken. It’s a real hit!
Yay! So happy that you enjoyed it as much as we did! 🙂