In contrast to the fresh corn dish in my last post, this dish was quick and easy to prepare. It was an “out of the box” vegetarian meal that we all enjoyed. We ate it with roasted broccoli on the side. Nice.
This recipe was adapted from Bon Appétit, contributed by Chris Morocco. I modified the proportions. The crispy onions were a fun topping- my son has been adding them to his sandwiches ever since. 🙂
Yield: 4 servings
6 ears of corn, kernels removed and cobs discarded
2 T extra-virgin olive oil
1 serrano or jalapeño chile, thinly sliced
1 3″ piece fresh ginger, peeled, sliced into matchsticks
4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 scallions, thinly sliced, plus more for serving
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 cup farro or other grains, such as freekeh or quinoa, cooked
3/4 to 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
4 T store-bought crispy onions
lime wedges, for serving
- Cook 1 cup farro according to the package directions. (I cooked 1 cup of Trader Joe’s farro in 2 cups stock for 10 to 12 minutes.) Let rest for an additional 5 minutes; set aside.
- Cut kernels from corn; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium until shimmering. (I used a 12-inch stainless pan.)
- Cook chile, ginger, garlic, and 2 sliced scallions, tossing, until softened and fragrant, 2-3 minutes.
- Add turmeric and cook, stirring frequently, just until darkened and fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add reserved corn and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, tossing occasionally, until corn is beginning to lightly brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add cooked farro and cook, tossing often, until heated through and beginning to crisp around the edges, about 2 minutes.
- Add 3/4 to 1 cup coconut milk; season with salt, to desired consistency. Bring to a simmer and cook, adding 1–2 T water if needed to loosen, until flavors have melded, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer corn mixture to a plate. Top with crispy onions and sliced scallions. Serve with lime wedges alongside for squeezing over.
I love anything tat has coconut milk in it and this dish looks like it would make for a very filling and satisfying meal.
It was filling- really creamy and delicious too. I absolutely love farro. I hope that you get a chance to try it!