My husband really enjoys making cocktails (for me!) but rarely drinks one himself. This wine-spiked whiskey sour was especially great because he and I both enjoyed one. 🙂
This recipe was adapted from Bon Appétit, contributed by Mary-Frances Heck. We used an Italian Barbera and agave nectar instead of simple syrup. Nice.
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 2 ounces rye or bourbon whiskey
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ounce simple syrup or 3/4 ounce agave nectar
- 1/2 ounce fruity red wine (such as Shiraz or Malbec)
- Combine whiskey, lemon juice, and simple syrup/agave nectar in a cocktail shaker.
- Fill shaker with ice, cover and shake until outside of shaker is frosty, about 30 seconds.
- Strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice.
- Gently pour wine over the back of a spoon held just above the drink’s surface so wine floats on top.