This is another quick and easy weeknight dinner. I love sheet pan meals! The yogurt sauce was absolutely essential- we all gobbled it up dolloped over both the cauliflower and the chicken. The spice blend, especially the smoked paprika, gave the chicken a great depth of flavor. Nice.
This recipe was adapted from The New York Times, contributed by Yossy Arefi. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs and modified the proportions as well as the marinating and cooking times. I served it with roasted potatoes (made simultaneously in the same oven) and crusty sourdough bread.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
For the Roasted Chicken Thighs & Cauliflower:
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 10 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds) or 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 pounds)
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 2-inch florets (about 5 cups)
- 3 shallots, quartered lengthwise (about 1 heaping cup)
For the Herbed Yogurt Sauce:
- 10 oz (about 1 1/4 cups) Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat leaf parsley or mint
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more for serving (I used Meyer lemon juice)
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated (I used a garlic press)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coriander, paprika, Aleppo pepper, and red pepper flakes with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil and a big pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pat the chicken dry and trim excess fat.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat in the oil and spices. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator at least 30 minutes and up to overnight. (I marinated the chicken for 2 hours.)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees and set a rack in the center. (I set my oven to convection roast.)
- Arrange the chicken, “skin-side up”, on a large parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Add the cauliflower, shallots, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to the bowl with the residual marinade. Toss to coat, then arrange the vegetables in a single layer surrounding the chicken.
- Bake until the chicken is deep golden brown and cooked through and the cauliflower is browned, tossing the vegetables once or twice, about 20 to 25 minutes for boneless and up to 40 minutes for bone-in. The internal temperature should read 165 degrees on instant read thermometer. (If the chicken is done before the cauliflower, transfer the thighs to a plate, cover, and continue cooking the cauliflower until golden brown.)
- While the chicken bakes, prepare the yogurt sauce: Whisk the yogurt, parsley or mint, cilantro, lemon juice and grated garlic with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving. (I made the sauce after making the chicken marinade and let it sit in the refrigerator during the marinating time as well.)
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a platter and top with any juices left on the sheet pan and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Serve with yogurt sauce on the side, sprinkled with fresh cilantro, if desired.