After picking eight heaping quarts of beautiful strawberries, I had to try a couple of new strawberry cocktails. I must say that it is difficult to make a strawberry cocktail that I would prefer to my favorite Strawberry-Basil Martini and (close second) The Union Square Strawberry Cocktail. Thankfully, we had plenty of strawberries and beautiful evenings to be able to enjoy all of them! 🙂
Both of these cocktails are incredibly simple and quick to prepare. The first is a Strawberry Gin & Tonic- perfect because one of my favorite summer cocktails is a classic gin and tonic. The recipe is from hometoheather.com. The second is a Spicy Strawberry Margarita. My husband made it as a celebratory cocktail on my birthday. ❤ He garnished the rim of the glass with a mixture of coarse salt and chile powder. The recipe was adapted from vinepair.com, contributed by Natalie Migliarini. Tasty and refreshing.
Strawberry Gin & Tonic
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 1 shot gin
- 1 wedge lime
- tonic water, to fill
- 1 mashed strawberry
- lime wedge or slice, or strawberry, for garnish
- Use a highball glass and fill about ¼ full with ice.
- Pour the gin over the ice.
- Add your mashed berry, squeeze the lime wedge and fill with tonic water.
- Garnish with lime or strawberry and serve.
Spicy Strawberry Margarita:
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 1.5 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce of lime juice
- 1/2 serrano or jalapeño chile, seeded (if desired), chopped or sliced into rings
- 3 strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 ounce agave nectar
- salt and/or Tajín or chile powder, for the rim
- 1 cup ice
- Rim a rocks glass with salt and/or Tajín or chile powder.
- Chop peppers and strawberries and add all ingredients into shaker, shaking to chill and combine.
- Pour chilled mixture, including the ice, into rocks glass.
- Garnish with a fresh strawberry, if desired.