One more summer sheet-pan dinner! 🙂
I recently made a delicious skillet gnocchi dish developed by Ali Slagle for The New York Times which was very reminiscent of this dish. Apparently, Ali Slagle inspired Sarah Jampel to create this version for Bon Appétit.
I loved that this variation incorporated arugula- one of my favorites- and coated it with a dressing made with roasted garlic. It was a quick, easy, and tasty summer meal. Great.
Yield: Serves 4
- 1/2 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch thick wedges (I cut it into 8 wedges)
- 2 to 4 large garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 cups (2 pints) cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 17.6-oz. package shelf-stable or refrigerated potato gnocchi (I used Trader Joe’s)
- 4 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling, if desired
- 1 1/2 tsp Diamond Crystal or 1 tsp Morton kosher salt, divided, plus more
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 to 3 cups baby arugula (I used 3 cups of my CSA arugula)
- 1 cup basil leaves, large leaves torn
- 2 oz Parmesan, shaved (I used Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 425°. (I set my oven to convection roast.)
- Line a rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Toss onion, garlic, tomatoes, gnocchi, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, and 1 1/4 tsp Diamond Crystal or 3/4 tsp Morton kosher salt on a rimmed baking sheet to coat. Season generously with pepper and toss again to combine.
- Roast, stirring once or twice, until gnocchi are golden and starting to crisp, most of the tomatoes have burst, and onion is golden, 25–30 minutes.
- Remove garlic from baking sheet, peel, and place in a small bowl. Mash with 1/4 tsp salt (garlic should be quite soft). (I used 4 cloves of garlic.)
- Whisk in lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon of oil into the mashed garlic. Season dressing with pepper and more salt, if needed.
- Add arugula, basil, and Parmesan to baking sheet and drizzle dressing over; toss to combine.
- Divide among plates and drizzle with a little more oil, if desired.
I order gnocchi all the time in Italian restaurants. 😋🌿
It’s not as fancy… but- shelf-stable gnocchi is such a great shortcut to a quick and tasty weeknight dish. 🙂