This was a super quick and delicious skillet dinner that was absolutely packed with flavor. I loved the colorful and fresh tomato topping. We ate it with a green salad but it truly could have been a complete meal on its own.
This recipe was adapted from Half Baked Harvest, contributed by Tieghan Gerard. I used chicken thighs, dried oregano, and capers. I also modified the method and proportions. Next time, I may substitute 10-minute farro for the orzo. Great.
Yield: Serves 6
For the Chicken & Orzo:
- 4 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 3/4 to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch pieces (about 4 large)
- 1 T dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced (I used a yellow pepper)
- 2 cups dry orzo pasta
- 2 T capers, drained
For the Tomatoes & To Serve:
- 2 1/2 cups mixed heirloom grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or put through a garlic press
- kosher salt
- 1-2 pinches/dashes red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, for serving
- In a large skillet, toss together the olive oil, chicken, oregano, paprika; season with salt and pepper. (I used an enameled cast iron pan.)
- Cook over medium-high heat until the chicken is browned all over and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar and garlic, cook another minute. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken from the skillet.
- Add the bell peppers to the drippings in the skillet. Cook until soft, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the orzo and 2 1/2 cups water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often until almost all the water is absorbed, about 5 to 10 minutes. Taste the pasta for doneness; add water and continue to cook until tender, if necessary. (I added 1/2 to 3/4 cup additional water after 5 minutes.)
- Stir the chicken and capers into the orzo. Allow the chicken to warm through, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the tomatoes with olive oil, basil, and garlic in a bowl. Season with salt and red pepper flakes.
- To serve, spoon the tomatoes over the chicken and gently toss. Top with feta cheese.