I loved everything about this beautiful salad. We ate it with Turkish Grilled Chicken– such a wonderful meal. It was one of the best zucchini dishes I’ve ever made.
This recipe was adapted from Milk Street, contributed by Elizabeth Mindreau. It was re-created from a salad served at Coal Office, a modern Middle Eastern restaurant in London.
- about 3/4 to 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 T tahini
- zest from 1 large lemon, plus 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp plus 2 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more to serve
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 15 1/2 ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 small shallot, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 T red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp za’atar
- 2 small/medium zucchini (12 to 16 ounces total), quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced on a steep diagonal
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro
- ground sumac, to serve, optional
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, tahini, lemon zest and juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, stir together the chickpeas, shallot, vinegar and za’atar. Cover and microwave until the shallot is wilted, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Uncover and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. (see Tip)
- When the chickpeas have cooled, stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the zucchini, mint, dill and cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the chickpea-zucchini mixture to a platter, spooning it around the edge.
- Scoop the yogurt mixture into a mound in the center of the chickpea-zucchini mixture.
- Drizzle with additional oil and sprinkle with sumac, if using.
Tip: Don’t forget to cover the bowl containing the chickpeas and shallots when microwaving. Covering traps steam that helps wilt the shallots and soften the chickpeas. And remember to occasionally stir the chickpea-shallot mixture as it cools. This helps ensure the chickpeas evenly absorb the seasonings pooled at the bottom of the bowl while also hastening the cooling.
both recipes are going to be in my kitchen soon!!!!!! love them!
Yes! You must! Both recipes are going to be in my kitchen AGAIN very soon. 😉 Enjoy!
Just finished dinner
oops, sorry, fast fingers…. dinner was delicious, I was not sure how the husband would feel about the raw zucchini salad, but he loved it
what is wrong with me? I keep hitting the wrong key…. sorry! Thank you for this amazing combination!
You made my day! SO happy that you enjoyed it too. I also had a raw zucchini skeptical husband… He loved it too! 🙂
Very interesting. I have some zucchini calling my name. 🥒
The yogurt sauce is everything. Hope you get a chance to try it!
Sounds amazing! 😍
This looks great and I love the flavors. I just picked a nice zucchini from my garden so will make this tomorrow
Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did!
Pingback: RAW ZUCCHINI AND CHICKPEA SALAD WITH TAHINI YOGURT | Bewitching Kitchen