I am not sure that I would have tried this recipe if I hadn’t seen these fries made on an episode of America’s Test Kitchen. The method is unusual- the cut potatoes are coated in a cornstarch slurry prior to being baked. This coating allows a crust to form on the outside of the fries just like a deep-fried fry. They were crispy and delicious. I’ve made them twice already! 🙂
This recipe was adapted from America’s Test Kitchen, via Brit.co. I doubled the recipe with the exception of the oil, used Maine gold potatoes, and cut the slices smaller than suggested.
Yield: Serves 4 to 5
- vegetable oil spray
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes or Maine gold potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, or more, to taste
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 425°F, preferably on convection roast.
- Generously spray rimmed baking sheet with vegetable oil spray. Pour oil into prepared sheet and tilt until surface is evenly coated with oil. (The oil spray contains a surfactant called lecithin, which prevents the oil from pooling and, in turn, prevents the potatoes from sticking. Using the oil spray also decreases the total amount of oil to 3 tablespoons, just enough to evenly coat the fries.) Note: If halving the recipe, do not modify the amount of oil used to coat the pan.
- Halve potatoes lengthwise and turn halves cut sides down on cutting board. Trim a thin slice from both long sides of each potato half; discard trimmings.
- Slice potatoes lengthwise into 1/3- to 1/2-inch-thick planks. (each potato slice should have 2 flat sides)
- Combine 2/3 cup water and cornstarch in large bowl, making sure no lumps of cornstarch remain on bottom of bowl.
- Microwave, stirring every 20 seconds, until mixture begins to thicken, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and continue to stir until mixture thickens to pudding-like consistency. (If necessary, add up to 1 tablespoon water to achieve correct consistency.)
- Transfer potatoes to bowl with cornstarch mixture and toss until each plank is evenly coated.
- Arrange planks on prepared sheet, leaving small gaps between planks. (Some cornstarch mixture will remain in bowl.)
- Cover sheet tightly with lightly greased aluminum foil and bake for 12 minutes. (Covering the fries with foil ensures that they are fully tender by the end of the baking time.)
- Remove foil from sheet and bake until bottom of each fry is golden brown, 7 to 15 minutes.
- Remove sheet from oven and, using thin metal spatula, carefully flip each fry.
- Return sheet to oven and continue to bake until second sides are golden brown, 7 to 15 minutes longer.
- Sprinkle fries with 1 teaspoon salt. Using spatula, carefully toss fries to distribute salt.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate and season with salt, to taste. Serve.