This is another Mexican-inspired chicken dish. I coarsely hand-shredded this juicy chicken to serve as a taco filling with loads of toppings. It would also be wonderful in a burrito bowl or simply on it’s own with street corn, refried beans and rice. Yum.
The recipe was adapted from DamnDelicious.com. I marinated the chicken for 6 hours and it was very flavorful. I broiled the chicken instead of pan frying it as well. It would also be perfect grilled.
Yield: Serves 4
Posted in Chicken (Poultry), Grilling, Recipes, Tacos
Tags: boneless skinless chicken thighs, burrito, burrito bowl, chicken, chicken thighs, cilantro, dinner, grilled, lime, marinade, Mexican, poultry, Tacos
Chipotles, Cheese, Chicken Thighs… mmm… this dish could have just as easily been a taco or burrito filling, but we ate it over penne. 🙂 I had to make a Mexican dish to enjoy my new margarita glasses in the warmer weather!
This dish was adapted from Food and Wine, contributed by Melissa Rubel Jacobson. I used a combination of cheeses and increased the amount of chicken, garlic, corn, and cheese in the dish.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 1 pound penne rigate (I used whole wheat)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds (about 10) skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch dice
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large sweet or yellow onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 large chipotle in adobo sauce, seeded and minced, plus 2 teaspoons adobo sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/4 pound queso fresco, queso blanco, Monterey Jack, and/or mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated (1 1/3 cups)
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the penne and cook until al dente. Drain the penne.
- Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until the onion is softened and the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chipotle and adobo sauce and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Add the corn, season with salt and pepper and cook until the corn is heated through, about 1 minute.
- Add the penne and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the sauce and toss to coat. Add 1 cup of the cheese and toss.
- Transfer the pasta to bowls, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and the cilantro and serve.
One Year Ago:
Posted in Chicken (Poultry), Pasta, Quick, Recipes
Tags: burrito, chicken thighs, chipotle, chipotle chiles, cilantro, dinner, healthy, kid-friendly dinner, Latin, Mexican, mozzarella, penne, queso blanco, queso fresco, Tacos