Who isn’t a fan of an ice cream sandwich? We love every variation in my house, so, naturally, I had to try this version using vanilla cupcake tops.
This recipe was adapted from Food and Wine, contributed by Candace Nelson. I made the cupcake tops using a muffin top pan to give them more surface area- genius, right?
We gobbled up these all-American treats for dessert during the Super Bowl this year. I filled half with salted caramel gelato and half with vanilla bean ice cream. The vanilla ice cream-filled sandwiches were our favorite.
Yield: Serves 6
- Preheat the oven to 325°, preferably on convection. Coat a standard muffin pan or a muffin top pan with cooking oil spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk with the vanilla.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter with the sugar
at medium-high speed, scraping down the bowl once or twice, until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- At medium-low speed, beat in the eggs one at a time until incorporated.
- At low-speed, beat in the dry ingredients and the milk mixture in 3 alternating additions until smooth.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the batter into each prepared cup.
- Bake the cupcakes for 15 minutes if using a muffin top pan, or about 18 to 25 minutes in a standard pan, until a toothpick inserted in
the centers comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then cool
completely on a wire rack, about 1 hour.
- Working with 1 cupcake at a time, carefully slice off the cake top. Reserve
the cupcake bottom for another use.
- Arrange the top smooth side down
on a platter. Repeat with the remaining cupcakes. Freeze the tops for 1 hour.
- Spread 1/4 cup of the ice cream
onto each of 6 cupcake tops.
- Close the sandwiches with the remaining cupcake tops and gently press together. Wrap individually in plastic wrap.
- Freeze for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Note: The ice cream sandwiches can be wrapped in plastic and frozen for up to 1 week. Let soften at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
One Year Ago: Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Two Years Ago: Country Apple Fritter Bread
Three Years Ago: Soft Baked Snickerdoodles
Four Years Ago:
Five Years Ago:
Posted in Baking, Cupcakes, Good Sweets, Good Eats (Desserts), Holiday, Ice Cream, Recipes
Tags: cupcake tops, cupcakes, dessert, gelato, ice cream sandwiches, muffin tops, pistachio, salted caramel, sorbet, Super Bowl, vanilla, vanilla cupcakes