After gobbling up a double batch of chips and guacamole followed by Sam Sifton’s Middle School Tacos, we ate this flan as our celebratory Cinco de Mayo dessert this year.
A while ago, my son read a book that mentioned flan and he really wanted to make it. We actually made it together at that time. 🙂 It really is quite simple to prepare, and he felt like he had achieved a great accomplishment when it came out well. He’s been asking to have it again ever since!
I think that it is particularly delicious served with strawberries. This recipe is a blend of multiple flan recipes- including one from my grandmother.
Yield: One 8-inch flan
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 large eggs
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk (low fat can be substituted)
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 T pure vanilla extract
- pinch of coarse salt
- strawberries, for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees, preferably on convection.
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan; bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and cook, without stirring, occasionally swirling, until amber, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Pour into a 1 1/2 to 2 qt (8-in) ceramic baking dish or 8-in cake pan, tilting to cover the bottom surface and halfway up the sides of the dish.
- Place the prepared dish on a dish towel or a silicone pot holder (to prevent it from shifting) inside a roasting pan. (I used an enameled cast iron lasagna pan.)
- Place the eggs, condensed milk, evaporated milk, vanilla, and salt in a Vitamix. Blend for 20 seconds. (Alternatively, mixture can be whisked in a bowl until combined.)
- Pour through a fine strainer into the prepared pan.
- Slide the oven rack out and place the roasting pan on the hot rack.
- Fill the outside of the pan with HOT water halfway up the sides of the flan dish.
- Bake for 60-70+ minutes, or until the center is wobbly.
- Remove from the oven; let cool to room temperature.
- Remove flan from the water bath. Cool and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Dip the bottom of the dish in warm water, then invert onto a rimmed platter. Serve.
One Year Ago: Cheesy Enchilada Skillet
Two Years Ago: Cinco de Mayo Chicken-Chipotle Tacos
Three Years Ago:
Four Years Ago:
- Mango Margarita
- Mexican-Style Chicken over Penne
- Shortcut Enchiladas Verdes
- Chipotle Shrimp Tostadas
Five Years Ago: