This is a bowl of fresh and creamy heaven. Easy to prepare too. I topped it with a splash of color from my absolute summer favorite, basil. The toasts made it a filling meal as well.
This recipe was adapted from Martha Stewart Living. We ate it slightly chilled instead of cold because we enjoyed it on a cool and rainy summer night. My husband gobbled up the chilled leftovers and would recommend this soup served cold as well. 🙂 I think it would also be delicious served warm!
Yield: Serves 4 to 5
- 4 slices bacon (about 6 ounces)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 6 ears of corn)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 to 8 slices crusty bread (I used a sourdough baguette)
- 4 ounces manchego or other hard, sharp cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds (I halved them again to fit on my bread slices)
- extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- basil, chiffonade, for serving
- In a large straight-sided skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, turning once, until crisp, 8 minutes. Transfer to paper towels.
- Add onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt to skillet; cook stirring, 8 minutes.
- Stir in 4 cups corn, then 2 cups water; season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring occasionally, until corn is tender and most of liquid has evaporated, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl, stir in 1 1/2 cups ice water and the sour cream.
- Blend mixture with an immersion blender, or in a blender (in two batches, if necessary), until smooth.
- Refrigerate, stirring occasionally, until cold, about 45 minutes. (I skipped this step and served it slightly chilled.)
- While the soup is chilling, season the tomato slices with salt and pepper. Toast the bread slices.
- Top the bread with cheese slices, tomatoes, and bacon.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with remaining 1/2 cup corn kernels, more pepper, drizzles of oil, and basil, as desired.
I’m sharing my summer soup at Angie’s Fiesta Friday #181 this week co-hosted by CH @Cooking From My Heart and Nimmi @Adorable Life. Angie featured my post from last week’s Fiesta- Yay! Check it out! 🙂
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago:
Four Years Ago: