This was a great side dish to prepare with my CSA Napa cabbage and scallions. We ate it with spicy pork kebabs and brown Basmati rice. The original recipe recommends serving it with rice to soak up the wonderful sauce. I agree!
This recipe was adapted from Food and Wine, contributed by Kate Winslow. I used crushed red pepper flakes instead of Korean hot red-pepper flakes. It would be a great accompaniment to any grilled meat or fish.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6 as a side dish
- Mince and mash the 2 cloves of chopped garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt.
- In a mini food processor, mince the scallions and remaining 2 cloves of garlic.
- Stir together the garlic paste, minced scallions, minced garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, water, hot red-pepper flakes and sugar together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. Add the cabbage, season with a pinch of salt, and stir-fry, using tongs to stir, until the cabbage is just wilted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and pour the dressing over the cabbage and toss gently to combine.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the toasted sesame seeds.
*Korean hot red-pepper flakes are available at Korean markets. Store any leftover flakes, tightly sealed, in the freezer.