There is a lot of (self-imposed!) pressure to use our beautiful freshly picked strawberries in the best possible way. 🙂 I have several treats that we make annually, but I try to select a few new things to make. I had my eye on this spoon cake after seeing it in the New York Times. I loved the name too! Spoon cake.
This recipe was adapted from The New York Times, contributed by Jerrelle Guy. I doubled the strawberries and used a larger baking dish. I also weighed the ingredients, including the berries. I may bake it in a 10-inch cast iron skillet next time.
We ate it for dessert with vanilla ice cream. It could be served as a very special breakfast as well. Delicious.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 1/2 cup/115 grams unsalted butter (1 stick), melted, plus more for greasing
- 10 ounces/290 grams (about 2 cups) fresh, hulled strawberries (or thawed frozen strawberries)
- 2/3 cup/150 grams packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup/120 milliliters whole milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup/130 grams all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Heat oven to 350 degrees, preferably on convection.
- Grease an 8, 9, or 10-inch (square or round) baking dish with butter. Set aside. (I used a 10-inch round ceramic baking dish.)
- Using your hands or the back of a fork, lightly mash the berries to release all their juices, and stir in 1/3 cup of the brown sugar. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the melted butter, remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar, milk and salt.
- Add the flour and baking powder and continue whisking just until the batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter (it’s not much) to the greased baking dish, and spread evenly into corners.
- Spoon the strawberries and all their juices over the top of the cake batter.
- Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or just when a toothpick comes out clean in the center. (I baked mine for 22 minutes in a 10-inch round dish.)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 3 to 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with ice cream.