Sometimes simple is best. What a great quick dessert– It is fun, easy, and delicious. It’s a giant cookie! 🙂 It would be excellent with a scoop of vanilla ice cream but we loved it plain, warm from the oven. This recipe is from Martha Stewart Living. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Yield: Serves 8 to 10
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (about 9 ounces) mixed milk- and semi-sweet- chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until mixture is light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; mix until they are fully incorporated. Add flour mixture, and beat until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Transfer dough to a 10-inch ovenproof skillet, and press to flatten, covering bottom of pan. Bake until edges are brown and top is golden, 30 to 35 minutes (in a convection oven). Don’t overbake; it will continue to cook a few minutes out of the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool, 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into 8 to 10 wedges. Serve warm, with vanilla ice cream, if desired.