When I have escarole in my CSA box, I try to make something new…. It seems that the most common use for escarole is in an Italian white bean soup- BUT- we don’t want that! 🙂 This was a quick, cheesy, creamy, TERRIFIC escarole pasta dish. We loved it. The recipe was adapted from Everyday Food. I used one half of a head of escarole subsidized with turnip greens. We ate it with cappellacci pasta.
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3/4 pound short pasta, such as campanelle or farfalle (I used round cappellacci)
- 1 large head escarole, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch strips (I used 1/2 head and turnip greens)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 8 ounces feta, crumbled (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta 1 minute less than package instructions. Add escarole and cook 1 minute. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, then drain.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add shrimp, season with salt, and cook until opaque throughout, 4 minutes. Add pasta mixture and 1/4 cup pasta water and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in yogurt, feta, and dill. If necessary, add remaining pasta water to create a light sauce that coats pasta. Season with salt and pepper.
One Year Ago: