I have been looking for an excuse to make this skillet cake since last summer. Graham crackers… peaches and blueberries… streusel topping… and baked in a cast iron skillet? Irresistible. I finally had to make it after having too many ripe peaches on the counter. 😉 What an excuse!
This recipe was adapted from Food and Wine, contributed by Chicago chef Stephanie Izard. (I have loved her since she won Top Chef.) The cake is baked on the grill in the original recipe. Delicious!
Yield: Serves 10 to 12
Make the Streusel:
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat all of the ingredients together at medium speed until crumbs form.
- Press together to form a large mass.
- Transfer to a bowl and break into clumps.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 300° F, preferably on convection.
- In a medium bowl, toss the peaches with the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and cornstarch.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt the butter over low heat. Remove from the heat.
- Scrape the fruit and any juices into the skillet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk both flours with the graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter with both sugars and the honey at medium speed until fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, then beat in the buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Scrape down the side of the bowl and beat in the dry ingredients until just smooth.
- Spread the batter in the skillet in an even layer.
- Scatter the streusel evenly on top.
- Place the skillet on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. (The cake is cooked off of the heat in a grill for the same amount of time in the original recipe.)
- Let the cake cool for 1 hour. Cut into wedges and serve with vanilla ice cream.
I’m bringing my special skillet cake to share at Angie’s Fiesta Friday #184, co-hosted by Jhuls @The Not so Creative Cook and Petra @ Food Eat Love. Enjoy!
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago:
Four Years Ago:
Can I please have a piece of this fantastic cake you have made!! 🙂
🙂 looks delicious
Oh, that looks delicious! I think we’ve got a few more peaches to come.
This one’s a keeper. Feeds a crowd too!
That is indeed a great excuse, Josette. I am glad you made it to this week’s Fiesta Friday party so we can enjoy this irresistible dessert! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much Jhuls!
This sounds delicious and perfect to tuck in to on a night in and just enjoy! Happy Fiesta Friday 🙂 (even if a bit late)
I’m always late, Petra… Better late than never! Thanks for hosting this week!
Beautiful & delicious cake !
Pingback: Skillet Graham Cake with Peaches & Blueberries | homethoughtsfromabroad626