We have been having fun this summer branching out from our usual cocktails. I am not usually partial to a frozen margarita, but this slushy one was tasty and had such amazing color! Perfect for a summer night.
This recipe was adapted from the New York Times. We made them a little sweeter by using agave nectar instead of simple syrup, and slightly less potent. Fabulous.
Yield: Makes 1 large or 2 small drinks
- 6 large blackberries, plus 1 (or more) to garnish each drink
- 1 1/2 ounces tequila
- 1 ounce Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- 2 T lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 2 T agave nectar or simple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups ice
- mixture of coarse salt and coarse sugar for glass rims
- lime wheels, optional
- Blend all of the ingredients (except garnish: salt, sugar, lime wheels) until smooth and frosty. (I used a Vitamix.)
- Run a lime wedge along rims of margarita glasses and dip into salt-sugar mixture.
- Pour the blended drink, garnish with blackberries and lime wheels, if desired.