As in my last post, this wonderful dish is also part of Bon Appétit’s Most Popular Recipes of 2019. I made this and several other dishes on the list before it was compiled- apparently I was not alone! 😉
This recipe was adapted from Bon Appétit, contributed by Andy Baraghani. I added garlic and white wine. Yummy comfort food.
Yield: Serves 4
4 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 lb mixed mushrooms (such as maitake, oyster, crimini, and/or shiitake), torn into bite-size pieces (I used 10oz quartered cremini and 8oz torn shiitake)
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 lb spaghetti or 12 oz bucatini
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup finely chopped parsley
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
2 T unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 oz Parmesan, finely grated (about 1/2 cup), plus more for serving (I used Parmigiano-Reggiano)
freshly ground black pepper
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot over medium-high. Cook half of mushrooms in a single layer, undisturbed, until edges are brown and starting to crisp, about 3 minutes. Give mushrooms a toss and continue to cook, tossing occasionally, until all sides are brown and crisp, about 5 minutes more.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a plate; season with salt.
- Repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and mushrooms and more salt.
- Finely chop the shallots and garlic in a mini-food processor, if desired.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and return all of the mushrooms to the pot. Add shallots and garlic; cook, stirring often, until shallots are translucent and softened, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until very al dente, about 2 minutes less than package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Using tongs, transfer pasta to pot with mushrooms and add cream, white wine, and 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Increase heat to medium, bring to a simmer, and cook, tossing constantly, until pasta is al dente and liquid is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat. Add lemon zest and juice, parsley, butter, 1/2 oz Parmesan, and lots of pepper and toss to combine.
- Taste and season with more salt if needed. Adjust consistency with additional pasta water, if needed.
- Divide pasta among bowls and top with more Parmesan and parsley, as desired.
Mmmm. Mushrooms are such a tasty addition. 🍄
Good recipe. I made a copy.
Have to wait until I can go shopping
You love mushrooms like me! ❤