I usually need grilled cheese as a bribe for my family to enjoy tomato soup for dinner. My daughter loved this soup even more than the grilled cheese! 🙂
This recipe was adapted from Food 52.com, contributed by Carolina Gelen. I modified the method and proportions. It was a quick dinner packed with flavor. Perfect with our grilled cheese sandwiches and giant green salad.
We swirled pesto into the soup just before serving. Additional cream or crème fraîche could also be added.
Yield: Serves 4 to 5
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1300 grams grape or cherry tomatoes (about 4 cups)
- 2 yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 2 heads of garlic, halved crosswise
- 2 to 4 sprigs of basil
- 2 large sprigs of thyme
- 1 or 2 red chiles, optional (I omitted it)
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk or heavy cream (I used one 13.5 oz can of coconut milk), plus more for serving, as desired
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock, plus more as needed
- homemade or store-bought pesto, for serving, optional
- grilled cheese sandwiches or fresh bread, for serving, optional
- Heat the oven to 450°F (230°C). (I set my oven to convection roast.)
- Drizzle some oil into a deep baking dish. (I used a large enameled cast iron baking dish.)
- Add in the tomatoes, onion, basil and thyme, and chile (if using). Drizzle more olive oil on top, plus a big sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mix to coat. Add the garlic cloves, cut side down, nestled into the other ingredients.
- Roast for 25 to 40 minutes, until the tomatoes are slightly charred. (I roasted mine for 38 minutes.)
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 to 7 minutes. Remove and discard the thyme. Remove garlic cloves from the papery skin.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a blender, along with the coconut milk and stock. (I used a Vitamix on the hot soup setting.) Remove the little plug from the blender lid, then cover the lid with a kitchen towel and blend until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the salt and pepper if needed. Adjust consistency with additional stock, as needed.
- Serve drizzled with pesto and/or cream with a grilled cheese sandwich and green salad, as desired.
Ummm. The aromas must be ah-mazing. 😋
It’s hard to top the aroma of garlic while roasting! This soup was SO easy and delicious!