These wonderful pancakes were a nice seasonal alternative to our usual blueberry buttermilk pancakes. They had a fabulous texture from the oats and were very light and fluffy.
The recipe was adapted from Gourmet via Epicurious.com. I used rolled oats instead of quick-cooking oats and Juici apples instead of Granny Smith. I also doubled the recipe.
We ate them topped with maple syrup and fresh apple chunks but they would also be delicious with sautéed apples. I may also use all whole wheat pastry flour next time and omit the all-purpose flour completely.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 2 1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 1 1/3 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 4 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups firmly packed peeled and coarsely grated Granny Smith apple, excess juice squeezed out (I used a 1 3/4 Juici apples)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (can substitute whole wheat pastry flour)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil plus additional for brushing the griddle (I used cooking oil spray on the griddle)
- maple syrup, for serving
- apple chunks or sautéed apples, for serving, optional
- In a bowl whisk together 2 cups of the buttermilk and the oats and let the mixture stand for 15 minutes.
- While the oats are soaking, peel and grate the apples. (I squeezed out the juice according to the original recipe but may skip this step next time.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, and the grated apple.
- Stir in the flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, 4 tablespoons of oil, the oats mixture, and the remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk; mix well.
- Heat a griddle over moderate heat until it is hot enough to make drops of water scatter over its surface. Brush it with the additional oil, or spray with cooking oil spray, and drop the batter by half-filled 1/4-cup measures onto it.
- Cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden and cooked through. Serve the pancakes with syrup and apple garnishes, as desired.
Thank you! Pretty healthy too. 🙂
Pancakes are my comfort food. 😋🌿
My husband is the biggest pancake fan in our house! 🙂
Husbands. Mine spent Sunday morning making enough Belgium waffles to get us through the winter. lol 😍
Thank you! They were wonderful. 🙂