- 3 tablespoons ghee, butter, or olive oil
- 5 anchovy fillets
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup bread crumbs or panko
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved from stem to root and thinly sliced crosswise
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard, kale, and/or beet or turnip greens, ribs removed, leaves chopped into ribbons
- 12 oz to 1 pound whole-wheat pasta, such as fusilli, or fresh pasta (I used fresh orecchiette)
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter or ghee. Add 3 anchovies to the skillet; cook until melted, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the bread crumbs and toast until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Wipe the skillet clean and return it to a medium-high heat. Add the oil, the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft and caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes. Chop the remaining 2 anchovies and add them to the skillet. Cook until melted. Add the greens (adding the longer cooking greens such as kale first), a handful at a time, and cook until wilted, about 4 minutes. Cover and keep warm.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain well. Toss with the greens and bread crumbs, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil, if desired.
One Year Ago: