This is a wonderful weeknight sheet-pan dish. It was full-flavored and relatively healthy too. I think I’m in love with crispy roasted chickpeas!
This recipe was adapted from Smitten Kitchen.com, where the dish was loosely based on a New York Times sheet-pan chicken dish that I’ve also made and posted. I increased the amount of ground turkey, and meatball seasonings, size, as well as cooking time. I also used cumin seeds instead of fennel seeds.
We ate it with warm naan, brown Basmati rice, and roasted asparagus. The lemony red onions and yogurt toppings were essential and delicious.
Yield: Serves 6
Time: about 1 hour
For the Chickpeas:
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Meatballs:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 3/4 cup panko
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt (I used 2% Greek yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pushed through a garlic press
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- heaping 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, hot paprika, or red pepper flakes, plus more to taste
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro, flat-leaf parsley or mint leaves, or a mix thereof, plus more to garnish
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (from about 3/4 of a lemon)
- 7 oz (almost 1 cup) plain yogurt (I used 2% Greek yogurt)
- toasted pita wedges or naan
- harissa or another hot sauce, as desired
- brown Basmati rice, for serving, if desired
- Heat oven to 400 degrees, preferably on convection.
- Combine chickpeas, cumin seed, cumin, 1 teaspoon turmeric and half the red onion slices on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Roast for 25 minutes, until beginning to firm/crisp up. (The red onions will start to get very crispy and charred.)
- Meanwhile, make meatball mixture. Mix all ingredients- except the ground meat- in a large bowl with a fork. Then incorporate the meat.
- Form into 1.75-inch (about 2 T) meatballs, about 15 large meatballs. (I used 3 small cookie scoop scoops for each meatball.)
- Remove sheet pan with chickpeas from the oven (leave oven on) and move the chickpeas to the sides of the pan, clearing a space in the center.
- Lightly coat center with a thin coat of oil, either brush or spray it on, just to be safe. Position the meatballs in the center of the pan; I made 3 rows of 5 meatballs. Place baking sheet in oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through, about 165 degrees in the center.
- Meanwhile, toss remaining onion slices with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Combine yogurt with remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
- When meatballs are cooked, scatter remaining fresh herbs over the tray.
- Serve with lemony onions and yogurt, toasted pita wedges, rice, and hot sauce, as desired.
Two Years Ago: Broken Pasta with Shredded Pork & Arugula
Three Years Ago: Indian Butter Chicken
Four Years Ago: Caramel Chicken