I wanted to make these as soon as I read Linda’s post about this Spanish version of French Madeleines on La Petite Paniere. I also had to post them as soon as I made them! I loved her description- they seemed like a dessert but are eaten as a special bakery breakfast in Algeria. They are very light, only slightly sweet, and were absolutely delicious with raspberry jam.
I substituted some potato starch for the corn starch (I didn’t have enough…). I also substituted large for medium eggs, canola oil for safflower oil, and vanilla extract for the vanilla sugar in the original recipe. I also reduced the baking time for a convection oven. Tasty and pretty! 🙂
Yield: 12 Magdalenas (I only made 11!)
- 125 g all-purpose flour
- 125 g corn starch (I substituted some potato starch as well)
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 100 ml sunflower oil or canola oil
- 200 g granulated or caster sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F degrees on convection.
- Using cooking oil spray, grease small individuals mini magdalenas mold or muffins tray. (I used standard-size brioche tins.)
- In a bowl, combine the flour, the corn starch and the baking powder with a whisk.
- Separate egg yolks from whites (in two different large bowls).
- In the bowl with the 5 egg yolks, add the sugar, the vanilla extract, and the lemon zest. Whisk together all the ingredients until they become creamy.
- Add the oil and continue to mix.
- Add the flour, the corn (or potato!) starch and the baking powder mixture. Mix all of the ingredients together. (The batter is quite thick.)
- In the second bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks begin forming. (I used a hand mixer.)
- Incorporate the whisked egg whites to the egg yolk-flour mixture and fold in until combined.
- Spoon into molds and sprinkle with a little of turbinado sugar over the top. (I used a large ice cream scoop.)
- Bake for 17 or 18 minutes on convection (more or less depending the oven) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and set aside for 15 minutes. Transfer into a serving plate or basket. Serve with jam or orange marmalade on the side.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago: