As soon as I saw a post about this healthy and delicious bread, I wanted to make it for my mom. She doesn’t get a chance to visit us that often and she really enjoys morning baked goods and special breakfasts. (as I do!) She absolutely loved it.
The seeds in the batter gave the loaf incredible texture. Incorporating lemon and blueberries made it summery. It was subtly sweet as well. Perfect.
This quick bread was adapted from my food blog friend Johanne @French Gardener Dishes. I incorporated whole wheat flour, used ground flaxseed, added salt, and baked the loaf in my favorite Pullman pan. Wonderful!
Yield: 1 loaf
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- zest of 1 large lemon
- juice of 1 large lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 F, preferably on convection. Coat a loaf pan with cooking oil spray.
- Whisk together the eggs, oil, bananas and sugar until blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, flaxseed, chia seeds, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix only until incorporated.
- Add the blueberries, lemon zest and lemon juice and gently blend into the batter with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer to the prepared loaf pan and bake on a middle rack 35 to 40 minutes for a Pullman loaf pan, or 50 to 60 minutes for a standard loaf pan, and a test toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool 15 minutes before taking out of the pan.
One Year Ago:
Two Years Ago:
Three Years Ago:
Four Years Ago:
- Whole Wheat Banana Streusel Muffins
- Whole Wheat Banana-Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 4th of July Blueberry Cornmeal Butter Cake