Trader Joe’s stocks their sweet and spicy pepper jelly in the fall for the holiday season- just in time for this quick and tasty weeknight meal.
This recipe was adapted from a Food and Wine “staff-favorite,” contributed by Molly Stevens. I served the chicken and peppers over a bed of rice to absorb the drippings and grilled lime juice.
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 3 limes
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds 5 ounces)
- 1 T ground coriander
- 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 4 T olive oil, divided
- 4 long green bell peppers (CSA), poblano, or Anaheim chiles (10 to 12 oz)
- 10 to 12 shishito peppers (6 to 8 oz)
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed
- 1/2 cup hot pepper jelly
- Basmati rice, for serving
- Preheat a grill to medium-high (400°F to 450°F).
- Cut limes in half. Squeeze 1 lime into a small bowl to equal 2 tablespoons juice; set juice aside and discard juiced lime halves.
- Sprinkle chicken all over with coriander, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and red pepper flakes; rub evenly with 2 tablespoons oil. Set aside.
- Brush long peppers/poblano/Anaheim chiles, shishito peppers, scallions, and cut sides of remaining 4 lime halves evenly with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 teaspoon salt.
- Whisk together pepper jelly and reserved 2 tablespoons lime juice in a small bowl.
- Arrange long peppers/poblano/Anaheim chiles, shishito peppers, scallions, and limes, cut side down, on un-oiled grill grates. Grill, uncovered, turning scallions often, chiles and peppers occasionally, and leaving limes undisturbed, until gently charred, 3 to 4 minutes for scallions and limes, 4 to 5 minutes for shishito peppers, and 6 to 8 minutes for chiles. (It took even longer on my grill to char the vegetables.)
- Transfer charred chiles, peppers, scallions, and limes to a baking sheet, and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
- Arrange chicken thighs on un-oiled grates; grill, covered, until nicely browned and a thermometer inserted in thickest portion of meat registers 165°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Brush tops of chicken thighs generously with some of the pepper jelly glaze, and grill, uncovered, until glaze is sizzling, about 1 minute.
- Flip chicken, and repeat with second side. Remove chicken from grill.
- Place grilled chicken and vegetables on a platter over a bed of cooked Basmati rice.
- Squeeze grilled lime halves over chicken, chiles, peppers, and scallions.
I like sweet and spicy. Can’t go wrong, in my book. 🍯🍃🌶️
I’m a pepper jelly fan for sure 🙂
Me, too. In fact I have a jar in the refrigerator right now. 😜🍃
Yummy grilled chicken 😊
It’s been so warm- we still have our grill outside! 🙂